Wednesday 9 July 2014

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares review


This is a book that has been floating around a lot of my recommendation pages, but I had never really given it the time to see if it was actually a book that I would like and enjoy reading.
Then on one of my - increasingly more frequent - adventures where I go gallivanting around the local charity shops and book shops, I stumbled across this book.
It's a lot smaller that I would have expected, but the premise did sound rather enticing. What is better than being a book lover, and reading about other book lovers?

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, is a quick and easy read. One sitting is all that was really needed, and I do have to say that I really grew to love the whole idea of the story.
I haven't read any other books by either of these authors, but I am definitely feeling like I should now.
On a writing level alone, this book has become one of my favourites. The words are just like magic. It was perfection.

This book is a perfect companion to keep with you. Like, planes or train, breaks at work, or just sitting outside in the garden. It's fun and whimsical and a joy to read.

As I've stated before, I do quite like ambiguous endings, especially when they are done right. With this book though, I'm not quite sure it was the best ending. I think I would have liked to see Dash and Lily as an actual couple, or at least getting together. Because after finishing the last sentence, I couldn't help think.. well maybe they don't actually become a couple and the whole notebook thing was for nothing.

The only other fault I could really find is that I didn't seem to be that invested in the characters. They seemed real enough, but I just felt there was something lacking. My guess is that this opinion comes from me feeling that there wasn't enough exposition on the characters. I felt quite distant from them. There wasn't enough of them as actual people to help solidify their images in my mind.

I guess what I'm really trying to see is that I just would have preferred a little bit of a bigger book. The ending can stay, I just want to know a little more about Dash and Lily.

In all, I'm giving this book a slightly disappointed 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment