Thursday 31 July 2014

Demon Trappers: Forgiven, Jana Oliver review

Spoiler Free
I can't tell you how much of a relief it was to finally be going in blind on this series.
I'd already read the first two books, quite a while ago too. And only recently have a brought the third installment.
I don't know what possessed me to wait such a damned long time. This genre of book is one of my all time favourites!
Demons, Lucifer, short tempered teens. Yay!

Happily, I'm not in any way disappointed with Forbidden.
I was worried I would find this book lacking somewhat, because I already knew what was coming and the tones of each of the first two books.

The one thing that keeps nagging at me though, is that, the fourth book it set up to appear not nearly as connected with Demons than the first three.
That's what it struck me that the Demons had never been the main plot point like I had originally assumed.
Usually the disaster happens while we're with the characters, but in Jana Oliver's world, Demons have been alive and kicking for the same amount of time we have, it's always when a character -mainly Master Stewart- talks about past Demon Trapper adventures that I'm reminded that for everyone else, it isn't a shock. Only to us a the reader as we're trying to pull this world together in our minds.

I do have to say that I was hoping for a little better of a showdown with Simon.
He's mentioned once or twice, nowhere near the amount of presence he had in the first two.

By the end of this novel, I feel like Riley Blackthorn has really come into her own, and grown into an adult.
She's suffered so much in such a short amount of time, she has no way of retaining that innocence from when we first met her, and is forced to come accustomed to the darkness the world can sometimes thrust down upon you.

We see a lot more into the background of Denver Beck in this installment, and I'm grateful for that. I find him to be such an interesting character, and I really can't wait to read how Riley fits into all that, now certain things he had hoped stayed buried are coming back to haunt him.

Again I have to comment on the dialogue. It's just stellar. Some of Riley's lines had me out-loud laughing.
The only downside I can find with the book, or the series in general so far, is that there are quite a few typos. But that's not something that would bring down my opinion of a book. It's just one of those things.

Yes, I loved it.
Yes, I would recommend the series.
And yes, I would totally read all the books over again.
4 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment