Friday 4 July 2014

Walking Disaster review

When I fist heard about this book, I was thrilled to find out that I would be seeing more of my two new favourite characters, Abby and Travis, going through a different adventure in their lives together..
Then on further inspection, I realized that this book was actually a retelling of 'Beautiful Disaster', but from Travis's point of view instead. And you know what, I was even more excited about that.

If you've read my review of 'Beautiful Disaster' then you'll know I had a bit of a love/hate relationship with these characters. The seemed to bring out both the best and worst in each other..
But in this version of the events, I found myself disliking Abby a lot more than I had when reading it from her narrative, and supporting Travis in his actions. 

There is so much realism in the book and it's a reason why I love it.
I really do believe this story. Expect maybe the Mobsters and Vegas bits.
But everything else is so spot on. The college setting. Friends being involved in your fights with your boyfriend. It just all comes together amazingly.

This books had so much potential to be my perfect book.
I was really hoping that things would be hectic and erratic just like Travis, but it didn't quite seem to work out that way. Travis Maddox just seemed like your average love struck teen in this book, and not what I had hoped for.

I'm not sure if my slight lack of enthusiasm is due to only just reading 'Beautiful Disaster' and moving straight onto this knowing the ins and outs of the story already,
Or, that I just didn't find the event that I found so hypnotic as good coming from Travis.

On more of a glum note that I had hoped for, I give this book 3.5 maybe 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment