Thursday 19 June 2014

Daughter of Smoke and Bone book review

Let start with saying that this book was very interesting.
Now that can be taken in both a negative and positive way. And in my opinion, I think it means both for this book.

This book is so very fantastical, that I don't really think I was prepared for it to get quite so wondrous.
On a magical and fantasy level, this book starts off slowly with normal teenage troubles and boyfriend drama.
The parts with Karour and Kaz, were normal and relatable, and kind of fun to read. 
Then the wishing came into play, and that I could easily deal with that, then from there, it got weird.

I kept myself completely spoiler free for this book, so I really had no clue what I was heading into, but I certainly hadn't expected any of that.

There is so much information to take in that at times it can be a little overwhelming.
Chimera, Seraphim, resurrection, magic, wishbones, hamsas, splices of animals put together, teeth. It's a lot to take in.
I admit that I found it a little challenging to conjure up an image of most people. Brimstone, Twiga, Kishmish, Thiago.
But once you do finally understand the lingo, and the terms, than I found myself whizzing through this book.

A strange thing happened. As usual I sat up in bed reading, and when tired, I tucked my bookmark in and went to sleep.
Then the next day when I had a spare minute to read, I found myself shocked at much I had read, and that I was only fifty pages from the end without even realizing it. This book completely snuck up on me.

This story is written so beautifully, and the narrative is perfect. There isn't a single fault in the storytelling.
Even when the timeline is switching back and forward between characters and worlds, it's all so well written that you follow along effortlessly.

Let's talk characters.
Karour: She was brilliant. One of the best characters I've ever read. She was just so real. Her sarcasm and witty remarks were spot on. She's just a girl trying to live with the life that she has been dealt. Her tough attitude went hand in hand with her fear of being alone and not belonging. It all just made her so much more human. I was routing for her the whole time and wanted her to get exactly what she wanted.

Akiva: The strong, boulder like, angel boy. He was pretty much described as perfection incarnate, looks wise anyway. We see him first as an enemy; a man who doesn't feel. But as we get to know him more, we realize the reasoning behind his mannerisms and attitude.
I didn't like it when he cried though, it just didn't seem quite right with the image I had painted of him in my mind.

I completely favor Karou over Madrigal, though I know they are one and the same person . I just find it harder to relate to someone who has bat wings and gazelle legs, you know?
I much preferred reading about Akiva and Karou, then Akiva and Madrigal. 

It was also nice to see just a little bit more into the mystery that is Brimstone, and his relationship between Madrigal.

My overall opinion on this book is shrouded in question marks.
On the one hand, I enjoyed the writing style so much, I was willing to overlook the overload of information.
Then on the other, I was wasn't as riveted as much as I wanted to be with such a cool and original plot.

I'm completely in two minds about it.
I don't think it warrants a low rating of 3 stars, but then I don't think it quite deserves 4 stars.
So it guess we'll go down the middle of the two, and I'll give this book 3.5 stars.

I do think that Laini Taylor should be incredibly proud of the novel that she has written.

No comments:

Post a Comment