Thursday 26 June 2014

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire movie review

This review will contain spoilers, only for the pure fact that you should have seen this movie by now, it's even out on DVD. If you haven't seen it... what have you been doing with your life?

And in honor of the first teaser trailer for Mockingjay Part 1 being released, I thought I'd finally review Catching Fire.
 
I won't bore you with the details of how much I love the original source material that is the Hunger Games Trilogy (I loved those books so so much.) There, I said it. But that's not why you're reading. I'm going to give you my honest opinion of the movie sequel, so here goes.

If you've read any of my reviews before, you'll know I have a certain fondness for damaged characters.
And I really like how Katniss isn't quite ok with what she had to do in the arena in the first movie. Her and Peeta suffer from PTSD, (post-traumatic stress disorder) though it centers only on Katniss's struggles.

Of all the book-to-movie adaptations there have been, I feel that the Hunger Games franchise has kept remarkably close and true to its source material. Every scene from the book transitioned so beautifully onto the big screen and the cinematography was absolutely stunning.
Every shot, every angle... it was perfect.
The first half of this stunning film is mostly dull colours and tones. Greys, blues, everything has a cold sort of feeling to it, which I think is in tandem to the districts. Then the second half is full of beautiful and vibrant colours, that I think sets the whole thing off perfectly.
Everything played out exactly how I thought it should have.

This second installment takes on a slightly darker tone to its predecessor, which helps set it apart.
Though some are quick to say that the first half of this movie is slow moving and boring, just because they're are not in an arena, I strongly disagree.
In Catching Fire, we're shown so much more of Suzanne Collins's world (the author of the books, for those who don't know).
Instead of centering only on The Games, you really got to see how the events of the previous film have been received by the rest of Panem, and President Snow in particular.

The cast in this movie is phenomenal.
Each person is so perfect for their character that it is beyond words.

Jennifer Lawrence plays Katniss perfectly, she truly does bring her to life. There was no Jennifer playing Katniss, there was only Katniss.
Her vulnerability and desperation in this film really shows through and I found her performance was magnetic.
I love her two last scenes. In the hovercraft where she attacks Haymitch, then discovering District 12 has been blown to smithereens.
I know that final shot is not quite ingenious, and has been done hundreds of times in movies, but it's a truly fitting end.

Finnick Odair: How can one sum up our beautiful and deadly Finnick.
Played by the lovely Sam Caflin, he steals every scene he's in.
There's such a powerful air about him and especially his character, that you just can't look away.
And man is he an animal with that trident!

As with the previous film, Haymitch is my favourite character.
I just think he brings in the small laughs and brightens every scene he's in. He's quite an oddball, and I do love me some quirky characters.

Now, I must confess that Peeta isn't one of my favourite characters.
It has no reason to do with Josh Hutcherson, who plays our leading male, I can't fault him.
I just don't much care for him. I think he's just dead weight to be honest.

Joanna Mason. One of my favourite fictional characters of all time.
She's absolutely brilliant.

I was lucky enough to see the movie at the cinema, but only just. I am so glad that I did though, because it made my viewing experience that much better.
Even on my 5th time watching it, this movie continues to excite me so much that my heartbeat starts racing and pumping in my ears.

The moment we all (including Katniss) discover that she's going back into the arena, then when Effie draws her name, it's all so heartbreaking.
Having the crowd stay silent was perfect.

The final fifteen minutes in this movie as so tense that even now I'm on the edge of my seat.
You don't know who the good guys are, and what's going to happen.
When Katniss blows the arena, is the nearing hovercraft good or evil?

The pacing in this film, I think, is without fault. 

Can we all just agree on how badass that bit in the training facility is when Katniss strings up the Seneca Crane dummy? I smile like an idiot every time.

I love that one quote with President Snow and Katniss.
'It must be a fragile system, if it can be brought down with a few berries.'

This film will never score below 5 stars from me, no matter how many times I watch it.
It just makes me so much more anxious to see the next part in the series now.
I really do implore people to see it at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment